We’ve done a trade with a neighbour. Branchina, our lovely older goat, has gone off to pastures new and we’ve just welcomed Bonita to our little flock. Bonita is a much younger goat but we decided it was a good idea to introduce some different blood as all our goats have been one family group to date. The financial incentive didn’t hurt either, finances being low. Bonita is a small goat still although she’s already had kids. She’s producing milk, but only a fraction of what Branchina was so I’m a little disappointed from that perspective. However, she’s very docile and milking so far has been extremely easy. A million miles removed from Branchina who liked to lie on you when she’d had enough! I’ve started a three times a day milking regime in a desperate attempt to up milk production before we have lots of guests next month. Horny will have more milk soon I hope, as Assado won’t be with us much longer and he is still taking from her at night meaning I’m not getting a lot from her in the morning.
We’re mulling over putting Bonita to the Billy, as we have his services to hand at the moment. Her milk production wouldn’t fall immediately so we’d still be OK for the PDC course. But if all three goats fell pregnant (our two younger goats are already with Billy), we’d find ourselves urgently needing more space. We need extra accommodation for the animals anyway, but I’m not sure it’s sensible to put ourselves in a position where we are forced into it when we have so many other priorities. Tempting though …..